Master of Youth Ministry
Briercrest and The Coalition for Youth Ministry Excellence (CYME) are partnering to produce an accredited, highly practical, and contemporary Master of Youth Ministry (MYM) degree. The program will include three significant elements: a series of youth ministry courses (offered by CYME), a two-year focused apprenticeship program, and a series of biblical, theological, and historical classes (offered by Briercrest). The degree thus offers a pathway of training for youth ministers that is (1) more affordable, (2) puts students working in the field earlier, (3) provides a highly mentored training period, and (4) highlights discipleship and spiritual enrichment from beginning to end. Besides addressing contemporary concerns surrounding the engagement of youth in the church, this venture furthers one of the most central aims of Briercrest Seminary: to equip church leaders with relevant, affordable, and accessible graduate-level education.
Credit Hours: 50
Coordinator: Blayne Banting
FacultyBanting, Blayne DMin, PhD
Associate Professor of Preaching and Christian Ministry
- Articulate and apply an evangelical theology that demonstrably arises out of Scripture and finds expression in all areas of life and ministry.
- Be equipped for serving the local church and its global mission.
- Demonstrate growth as a disciple of Jesus Christ.
- Engage faith communities as active participants in the important tasks of identifying, equipping and releasing leaders for vocational youth, young adult and family ministry.
- Gain a working understanding of adolescent development, contemporary culture, family systems, and group dynamics as a foundation for strategic planning and effective ministry praxis.
- Develop vocational competence, theological thoughtfulness, relational astuteness, and emotional intelligence to engage with next generation and family ministry roles in a variety of settings.
I. Core (12 credit hours)
In consultation with the program coordinator, students will choose one course from each of the following disciplines:
CM 612 Spiritual Formation in Ministry (CYME)
New Testament Elective (Briercrest)
Old Testament Elective (Briercrest)
THEO 680 Thinking Theologically about Youth Ministry (CYME)
II. Youth Ministry Studies (CYME, 26 credit hours)
COMM 610 Communication Skills for Effective Ministry
YM 605 Youth Ministry Management – Principles and Practices
YM 639 Apprenticeship I
YM 681 Adolescent Spiritual Development
YM 707 Counselling Adolescents and Their Families
YM 711 Understanding Today’s Youth Culture
YM 772 Worldviews and Conversational Apologetics
YM 839 Apprenticeship II
III. Biblical, Theological, and Historical Studies (Briercrest, 12 credit hours)
BLST 602 Introduction to Biblical Interpretation
Old Testament Elective
New Testament Elective
History or Theology Elective
IV. Non-credit Requirements
RD 700 Experiential Integration
PRT 800 Learning Portfolio and Interview