Blayne Banting, DMin, PhD
Associate Professor of Preaching and Christian Ministry
Knowing what you don't know is as important as knowing what you do know—you know?
- Preaching and Christian Ministry
Education is formation. Through it we are informed, reformed, and transformed. Together in a community of senior and junior learners, we hold each other accountable while the Spirit does His work in us.
Blayne was born and raised in Saskatchewan and has served as pastor and professor in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Prince Edward Island. He is married to Peggy and they have 4 adult children and 4 grandchildren.
PhD 2009 Trinity Seminary/Canterbury Christ Church University
DMin 1998 Acadia Divinity College/Acadia University
M.A. 1990 Lincoln Christian Seminary
MDiv 1987 Canadian Theological Seminary (Ambrose)
BRE 1978 Alberta Bible College
- Taking Up Preaching: The Spheres of the Preaching Life. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2023.
- Taken Up and Preached: A Collection of Biblical Sermons. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2019.
- Take Up and Preach: A Primer for Interpreting Preaching Texts. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2016.
- With Wit and Wonder: A Preacher's Use of Humour and Imagination. Eugene, OR: Resource Publications, 2013.
- “Understanding Biblical Preaching: A Taxonomy.” Paper presented at the Evangelical Homiletics Society, October 17-19, 2019. Wake Forest, NC: Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.
- “It’s a Grey Matter: An Apology for Right-Brained Preaching.” Paper presented at the Evangelical Homiletics Society, October 15-17, 2015. Louisville, KY: Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
- “And Speaking of God…: A Theology for Biblical Preaching.” Paper presented at the Evangelical Homiletics Society, October 16-18, 2008. Birmingham, AL: Beeson Divinity School.
- “Sit-Down Comedy: An Appraisal of Jesus’ Use of Humour.” Paper presented at Canadian Society for the Study of Religion, May 29, 2007. Saskatoon, SK: University of Saskatchewan.
- 7 Lessons for New Pastors. 2nd ed. by Matthew D. Kim. Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2021. Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society, 22.1 (March 2022): 94-95.
- Building a Community of Interpreters: Readers and Hearers as Interpreters by Walter R. Dickhaut. Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2013. Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society,16.2 (September 2016): 53-54.
- Reading and Understanding the Bible by Ben Witherington III. New York: Oxford University Press, 2015. Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society, 16.2 (September 2016): 63-64.
- What Shall We Say? Evil, Suffering, and the Crisis of Faith by Thomas G. Long. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2011. Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society.