Dean of Students
- The Dean of Students leads the Student Development (SD) department which serves the mission of Briercrest which is to be a learning community which calls students to seek the kingdom, to be shaped profoundly by the scriptures and to be formed spiritually and intellectually for lives of service.
- In particular this role focuses on the provision of discipleship, care and direction for students as they attend Briercrest with an eye to wholistic development.
- Master of Arts degree in a related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in student related work and familiarity with the world of Christian higher education.
- Experience in leading a team is preferred.
- Previous student or staff experience at Briercrest is preferred but not required.
DESIRED OUTCOMES AND ACTIVITIES
- Actively support and promote the Briercrest College & Seminary vision and mission.
- Provide vision, direction and clarity for all SD activities in support of the mission.
- Foster a healthy culture and climate in the schools through the maintenance of a just and healthy Code of Conduct and through redemptive discipline.
- Ensure that all student leaders are equipped for their roles including Student Government and Dorm Leadership.
- Collaborate with all other departments (Academics, Athletics, Recruitment, etc.) in areas of crossover and in larger Institutional projects
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Foster a healthy culture of support, mentoring and personal development among SD staff team (currently 14 members).
- Selection, hiring, training and equipping of SD staff team members.
- Oversight and Management of:
- College dorm program
- Academy dorm program
- Counselling and Health Services
- College Chapel program
- Academy Chapel program
- College Student Government
- Support academic learning across the institution formally and informally.
- Manage crises (mental health, discipline, violence) as they arise.
- Develop, maintain and train in policy as it relates to the educational environment and as prescribed by the Ministry of Advanced Education. This includes but is not limited to Child Protection, Sexual Misconduct, Anti-Harassment and Involuntary Leave of Absence.
- Develop and maintain the SD budget.
- Develop and lead institutional initiatives in improving retention.
- The Dean of Students reports to the VP overseeing Student Development
- The Dean of Students supervises the Senior Residence Director, College Residence Directors, High School Residence Directors, College Chaplain, High School Director of Discipleship, Director of Counselling and Health Services.
- The Dean of Students is a member of the Enrolment Management Team, Week of Welcome committee and other committees as assigned by Executive Leadership Team.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, résumé/CV, names of three references and any specified documents by email to the Human Resources office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All employees of Briercrest College and Seminary are required to sign and adhere to our Institutional Covenant. Please review the covenant prior to submitting your application.